Submitted by Mrs. Christine Fabyanic,
High School Reading Competition Team Coach
Fall 2019 Competition
We are looking forward to participating in the Fall High School Reading Competition to be held tentatively on - Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at Bellwood-Antis School District. Sign ups will be held in the September upon return to school to join the Fall team!
Team Member Requirements & Information:
1. Each team member MUST read 5 - 7 books (or more) in the Fall, re-read/review those books closer to the competition date, and review the printed quizzes/summaries!
2. We will meet to periodically review who read what and plan to cover all our bases in September, October, and November.
3. We will then meet prior to the competition to practice and to determine spokespersons in March/April.
4. The Tuesday of the competition students are dismissed @ 1:00 pm, depending upon the travel time for dinner and arrival at the competition site before the competition's 4:30 start.
5. We travel with the Middle School Competition Team, as they compete the same evening against other Middle School teams. Three rounds of competition are held, with two teams competing against one another during each round. Points are tallied and cutoffs announced for any ribbon placements. An awards ceremony is then held to award the school teams who placed at the Third, Second, and First Place levels. Students then board their buses for return to their home school districts.
Our Berlin HS Reading Competition Team members continue to represent BBSD well and enjoy meeting students from other area school districts participating in this event! Despite the competition and stress of questions being "fired" at them about 30 books, the students rise to the challenge and have a great time!
Are you ready to have a good time reading? YES?! Then join our ranks for the Fall Reading Competition!
Here is the listing for the books on the Fall High School Interscholastic Reading Competition Book List:
1. The Alchemyst Michael Scott
2. All Around the Town Mary Higgins Clark
3. Among the Imposters Margaret Petersen Haddix
4. The Birchbark House Louise Erdrich
5. Blue Sword Robin McKinley
6. Brave New World Aldous Huxley
7. Can You Sue Your Parents For Malpractice Paula Danziger
8. Chains Laurie Halse Anderson
9. Conch Bearer C. Divakaruni
10. Death Be Not Proud: A Memoir John Gunther
11. Deathwatch Robb White
12. Dicey's Son Cynthia Voigt
13. Down a Dark Hall Lois Duncan
14. Down the Yukon Will Hobbs
15. Ender's Shadow Orson Scott Card
16. Esperanza Rising Pam Munoz Ryan
17. Eyes of the Emperor Graham Salibury
18. Faith, Hope, and Ivy June Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
19. Flygirl Sherri L. Smith
20. Ghost Girl: A Blue Ridge Mountain Story Delia Ray
21. Here There Be Dragons James Owens
22. Hero Mike Lupica
23. The Hobbit J.R. Tolkien
24. Homecoming Cynthia Voigt
25. House on the Gulf Margaret Peterson Haddix
26. I Am the Cheese Robert Cormier
27. I Know What You Did Last Summer Lois Duncan
28. I've Got You Under My Skin Mary Higgins Clark
29. Last Shot: A Final Four Mystery John Feinstein
30. Lightning Thief Rick Riordan
Here is what you need to do:
*Sign up in the Learning Hub (HS Library).
In the back room in the HS Library:
*Take the book listing.
*Choose book(s) to read, sign your name by it on charts up on back of shelf across from the back room door, and then sign it out of the Library.
(The ideal is to have 2 to 3 people reading each book, so that one person doesn't have to remember EVERYTHING!)
*READ, remember what you read, and ENJOY!
(I am not requiring you to take notes or write questions, but if those kinds of things help you to remember, don't hesitate!)
*You can touch base with Mrs. Fabyanic (@ 8:05 - 8:20 a.m.) in her room any morning.
(E014 - Elementary Building, 3rd/4th grade hallway, pass the gym and elevator, down the steps, and I am the third room on the left side!)
*We will have after-school practices in September, October, and beginning of November to review the competition format, decide on a captain for each round, and to check that all books have been read and not read. I will distribute any located summaries/quizzes that are posted on line to help team members review for competition.
I would love to see YOU on our fantastic BBHS Reading Competition Team!
Here is the listing for the books on the Spring High School Interscholastic Reading Competition Book List:
1. Night Journey Kathryn Lasky
2. No Ordinary Day Deborah Ellis
3. One Child Torey Hayden
4. Our Town: A Play in 3 Acts Thornton Wilder
5. Out of My Mind Sharon M. Draper
6. Peak Roland Smith
7. Pictures of Hollis Woods Patricia Giff
8. The Pigman Paul Zindel
9. Pygmalion George Bernard Shaw
10. Red Pyramid Rick Riordan
11. Scat Carl Hiaasen
12. Search for the Shadowman Joan Lowery Nixon
13. The Secret Life of Bees Sue Monk Kidd
14. Shakespeare's Spy Gary Blackwood
15. Siddhartha Hermann Hesse
16. Snatched Pete Hautman
17. Stones in Water Donna Jo Napoli
18. The Stowaway Karen hesse
19. Surviving the Applewhites Stephanie S. Tolan
20. The Teacher's Funeral Richard Peck
21. Tex S.E. Hinton
22. The Thief Megan Whalen Turner
23. Travel Team Mike Lupica
24. Two Princesses of Bamarre Gail Carson Levine
25. War Horse Michael Morpurgo
26. White Fang Jack London
27. Wintergirls Laurie Halse Anderson
28. Wish You Well David Baldacci
29. Words By Heart Ouida Sebestyen
30. Yellow Star Jennifer Roy