PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL OF THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES AND EXPECTATIONS FOR THIS CLASS
A. Classroom Behavior Expectations
Appropriate behavior in the classroom is expected at all times. This class requires many activities and labs that will be completed in cooperative groups. You must be able to cooperate and stay on task in order to complete the activity. The following are expected at all times:
1. When I am talking or giving instructions, you are not. Period.
2. Use good manners at all times; the use of profanities, inappropriate language/gestures, or disrespect will not be tolerated.
3. Follow all lab safety precautions and internet policies.
4. The use of cell phones, iPods, mp3 players and other such electronic devices is not permitted- FOR ANY REASON. If they are seen, they will be confiscated. This is a school rule, not just mine.
5 Eating or drinking in this lab is not permitted. If you bring it in you will be required throw it away.
6. Be in class and in your seat when the bell rings. You may not wait by the door at the beginning or end of class.
7. If you are late to class, you must have a pass from the office or another teacher. If you are late, walk in quietly, place the admit on my planner, and sit in your assigned seat. Do not interrupt classroom activities.
8. Take care of your personal business before or after class. This includes trips to the restroom, locker, office, water fountain, etc. Do not ask to leave class to do these things, unless it is an emergency. If you must leave the room for any reason:
- Ask me verbally & discreetly- NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF INSTRUCTION
- Fill out the sign-out sheet, take your agenda
- Only one person at a time
9. Keep your hands to yourself. Do not touch something if:
-it isn’t yours
-you don’t know what it is
-it seems dangerous
10. Bring your notebook, calculator and a pencil every day, as well as any assignments that are due.
11. Respect substitutes. Punishment will be doubled for any trouble that occurs when a substitute is here.
B. Guidelines for Homework
1. Homework assignments will usually be announced and posted on “Power School”.
2. Cheating on anything will not be tolerated. It will result in a zero on both your work and the person you copied from. It may also include possible notification of your parents. This includes homework. I CAN TELL WHEN YOU COPY!!!
3. Late homework policy- an assignment is late if you do not have it when I collect it.
- 1-day late = -10% of your earned score.
- 2-day late = -20% of your earned score.
- 3-day late = -30% of your earned score.
- 4-day late = -50% of your earned score.
- More than 4-days late will earn a score of zero.
4. It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to see me when you are absent (regardless of the reason) and to make sure you get anything you missed. I will not ask or remind you! Remember to check the missed work drawer and assignment board. If you are absent for sports or field trips, you must see me and get work/take tests from me BEFORE you leave… you shouldn’t have more time to work on assignments just because you play sports. Reminder: you are a student-athlete, not athlete-student.
I highly recommend that you keep a 3-ring binder for this class in which you will keep all papers that you are given. Occasionally we might have a notebook quiz. These often can make or break your grade.
1. You will be graded on tests, quizzes, class work, homework, and lab work in this class.
2. Your grade is always posted online, so you should never be surprised about what it is.
3. Deficiencies are sent out halfway through every 9 weeks for any grade below a 70%.
4. There are also bonus questions on almost every test.
E. Testing Procedures
1. All tests and quizzes are announced a minimum of three days ahead of time
2. If you are absent for a test or quiz, you will be expected to make it up as soon as you return to class.
3. Cheating on any test or quiz, no matter what, will result in a failure on that test.
F. Labs and Group Activities
1. All lab precautions will be announced prior to that lab
2. You will pick your lab group, choose your partners wisely. You will not be switched just because you no longer like someone.
3. In many cases, all members of your group will receive the same grade for the lab. I will randomly choose 1 group member to hand in their paper at the completion of the lab. YOUR ANSWERS SHOULD BE SIMILAR WITHIN YOUR GROUP!
4. Stay with your own group for the lab-you do not need to hang out with other groups or friends.
5. Your entire group must clean up your station or you will not be permitted to leave.
Be sure to return your signed “Safety Contract” to me as soon as possible.
PARENTS AND STUDENTS,
If you have Internet access, I encourage you to please visit Power School for a weekly schedule, grades, and other resources. I also suggest that you visit your class’ wikipage for extra practice as well as the notes (they will not be posted until the unit is finished and review has begun.
CLASS & LAB RULES CONTRACT- should be returned
AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING RULES CAREFULLY:
««1. Notify the teacher immediately of any hazard or injury which comes to your attention. ««
2. Be familiar with the location of the following in this room: fire extinguishers, eye wash, safety shower, hand sprayer, fire blanket, telephones, panic buttons. DO NOT TOUCH THESE ITEMS UNLESS THERE IS AN EMERGENCY.
3. DO NOT TURN ON THE SINKS UNLESS IT IS PART OF THE LAB!
- Perform all classroom experiments only after you have been properly instructed on directions, safety, and cautions concerning the lab activity… DON’T TOUCH ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ARE TOLD!
- WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES WHEN DIRECTED FOR THE ENTIRE LAB. THEY DO NOT WORK TO PROTECT YOUR EYES WHEN THEY ARE ON TOP OF YOUR HEAD OR ON YOUR DESK.
6. ABSOLUTELY NO EATING OR DRINKING IS PERMITTED DURING LAB ACTIVITIES!
- Do not return surplus chemicals to their original containers unless directed to do so. Make sure you are aware of how to properly dispose of chemicals after a lab.
- When using flames or hotplates, make sure that ALL flammable materials are away from the heat.
9. Long hair should be tied back when pouring chemicals or heating.
10. Hot containers should never be picked up with bare hands. There are several tools to pick up hot containers.
11. All small broken glass should be discarded in special containers labeled “Broken glass”. Always use a brush and dust pan (never your fingers) to pick up broken glass. Large pieces will need to be wrapped in newspaper. Let the teacher know what you break immediately.
12. Never perform unauthorized experiments.
13. When using any electrical devices with cords, make sure the cords are not dangling over the counter.
14. When using scalpels and single-edged razor blades, make sure to cut away from yourself and others.
15. Never leave any heating device unattended.
16. Do not taste or smell any chemicals unless directed by the teacher. When smelling a chemical, the odor should be waved to the nose by the hand.
17. When in lab mode, do not clutter your work area with book bags, purses, and nonessential items. You should leave these items (neatly) on your tables.
18. If a chemical is splashed into the eyes, follow these steps:
1) Ask if the person has contacts in and have them remove them right away.
2) Guide the person to the eye wash and flush the eyes for at least 15 minutes.
3) Tell the teacher so arrangements can be made for a professional to check the eyes.
19. Discard of all solids and animal parts in a lined garbage can only, NOT DOWN THE SINKS.
20. DO NOT TOUCH ANY OTHER LAB EQUIPMENT OR LAB SET-UPS IN THE ROOM FROM OTHER CLASSES.
21. Always wear shoes in this room. You may be dismissed from any lab if the teacher feels that your attire presents a safety problem.
22. Use caution with microscope bulbs, they get HOT!
23. Wash your hands or skin thoroughly after working with any chemicals.
24. Keep out of unauthorized areas in the room.
25. Do not touch the gas valves at your lab station and turn on water at your sink CAREFULLY.
26. Your ENTIRE lab group is responsible for cleaning up your work area. You will not be dismissed from the classroom until I have checked your lab station.
Be sure to return your signed contract to your teacher as soon as possible!