Submitted by Mrs. Christine Fabyanic,
High School Reading Competition Team Coach
Spring 2019 Competition
We are looking forward to participating in the Spring High School Reading Competition to be held on - Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at Forest Hills School District. Sign ups will be held in the Spring upon return to school in early January to join the Spring team!
Team Member Requirements & Information:
1. Each team member MUST read 5 - 7 books (or more) in the Fall, re-read/review those books closer to the competition date, and review the printed quizzes/summaries!
2. We will meet to periodically review who read what and plan to cover all our bases in January, February, and March.
3. We will then meet prior to the competition to practice and to determine spokespersons in March/April.
4. The Tuesday of the competition students are dismissed @ 1:00 pm, depending upon the travel time for dinner and arrival at the competition site before the competition's 4:30 start.
5. We travel with the Middle School Competition Team, as they compete the same evening against other Middle School teams. Three rounds of competition are held, with two teams competing against one another during each round. Points are tallied and cutoffs announced for any ribbon placements. An awards ceremony is then held to award the school teams who placed at the Third, Second, and First Place levels. Students then board their buses for return to their home school districts.
Our Berlin HS Reading Competition Team members continue to represent BBSD well and enjoy meeting students from other area school districts participating in this event! Despite the competition and stress of questions being "fired" at them about 30 books, the students rise to the challenge and have a great time!
Are you ready to have a good time reading? YES?! Then join our ranks for the Fall Reading Competition!
Here is the listing for the books on the Spring High School Interscholastic Reading Competition Book List:
1. Homeless Bird Gloria Whelan
2. Hope Was Here Joan Bauer
3. Hunger Games Suzanne Collins
4. Jason's Gold Will Hobbs
5. Life As We Knew It Susan Beth Pfeffer
6. Lisa Bright and Dark John Neufeld
7. Lock and Key Sarah Dessen
8. Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Aspergers John Robison
9. March Toward Thunder Joseph Bruchac
10. Martian Chronicles Ray Bradbury
11. Member of the Wedding - Novel Carson McCullers
12. Messenger Lois Lowry
13. Metamorphosis Franz Kafka
14. Miracle's Boys Jacqueline Woodson
15. My Mother's Secret J.L. Witterick
16. One Came Home Amy Timberlake
17. One for the Murphys Lynda Mullaly Hunt
18. Our Only May Amelia Jennifer I. Holm
19. Peeled Joan Bauer
20. Red Midnight Ben Mikaelsen
21. Rose Under Fire Elizabeth Wein
22. Shift Jennifer Bradbury
23. Soldier Boys Dean Hughes
24. Story of My Life: an Afgan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky Faran Ahmedi
25. Sun Also Rises Ernest Hemiingway
26. Tuesdays with Morrie Mitch Albom
27. Turnabout Margaret Petersoen Haddix
28. Under the Blood Red Sun Graham Salisbury
29. Upstairs Room Johanna Reiss
30. Wake Up Missing Kate Messner
Here is what you need to do:
*Sign up with Mrs. Meehan in the Learning Hub (HS Library).
In the back room in the HS Library:
*Take the book listing.
*Choose book(s) to read, sign your name by it on charts up on back of shelf across from the back room door, and then sign it out of the Library.
(The ideal is to have 2 to 3 people reading each book, so that one person doesn't have to remember EVERYTHING!)
*READ, remember what you read, and ENJOY!
(I am not requiring you to take notes or write questions, but if those kinds of things help you to remember, don't hesitate!)
*You can touch base with Mrs. Fabyanic (@ 8:05 - 8:20 a.m.) in her room any morning.
(E014 - Elementary Building, 3rd/4th grade hallway, pass the gym and elevator, down the steps, and I am the third room on the left side!)
*We will have after-school practices in late October and beginning November to review the competition format, decide on a captain for each round, and to
check that all books have been read and not read. I will distribute any located summaries/quizzes that are posted on line to help team members review for
I would love to see YOU on our fantastic BBHS Reading Competition Team!